This week we've got a rebroadcast of an episode from the other podcast I make, Being Honest With My Ex, about quitting my job, imposter syndrome, and how you definitely don’t have the same amount of hours in the day as Beyonce.
Being Honest With My Ex is basically a weekly personal journal that I’ve been keeping with my ex-fiance for the past two years, and has ended up documenting each of our journeys of trying to make the art + money equation work for ourselves. If Starving Artist is the documentary series on making a living creatively, then Being Honest With My Ex is basically the live stream version. It’s the very up close, very intimate, the ugly-crying account of trying to make it work.
Buy tickets to the upcoming Being Honest With My Ex LIVE shows here. You can find the podcast at beinghonestwithmyex.com, and if you're looking for somewhere to start, check out the new listener guide.
To support this show on Patreon go to www.patreon.com/honoreastly
This week in “Honor Eastly tries Etsy”: I SOLD MY FIRST THING! While I was in holiday in New Zealand! Also, this week’s ad features my boyfriend, last week’s featured my Dad, so who knows who will feature next time?!
Now I’ve never been hugely good at monetising my work. I’ve always been focussed on Making The Thing, like this podcast, instead of making merch or any of the like. And I think that’s partially because it’s kind of hard to put yourself out there, and say “hey I made a thing and you should buy it”, because well, it’s hard to believe in the financial value of your work sometimes. So it is genuinely really cool to see that people are buying things! Ahhh! And probably the best motivation to keep going.
Tune in next week when I ask myself, a podcaster and writer: “sooooo what the hell should I actually sell?”
Until then you can try valuing your own work by setting up your own store. You can get your first 20 listings *FREE* by heading to starvingartistpodcast.com/etsy and using the code STARVINGARTIST.
All the linky goodness:
- For the other episodes of Being Honest With My Ex about quitting my job, check out Ep 28: Making Money With My Ex and Ep 51: Running A Patreon With My Ex
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Amanda Palmer 2011 kickstarter where she raised $1.2 million
- You have the same amount of hours in the day as Beyonce
- Amanda Palmer - The Art of Asking
- Bo Burnham’s 2016 comedy special Make Happy (if you are short on time check out the last 20 minutes, and if you don’t have Netflix the last 8 minutes are free on YouTube)
- Bo Burnham’s Reddit AMA
- Cal Newport - So Good They Can’t Ignore You