Bri Lee is a freelance writer and creator of Hot Chicks with Big Brains, a small crew of rad babes who do heaps of stuff, including a print magazine, a podcast, a blog, events, all focussing on, you guessed it, Hot Chicks who have Big Brains.
I recorded this interview with Bri this time last year, when she had a lot going on. She'd just quit her stable law job to become a freelance writer, and just in the two months prior she'd won a fellowship, scored a literary agent, and was in the middle of shopping around her first manuscript to a small pile of publishing houses. I had no damn idea how one goes about selling their first book, but Bri was kind enough to sit down with me and school me on the ins and outs of book advances, asking naive questions, and leveraging interest in your work.
To support this show on Patreon go to www.patreon.com/honoreastly
All the linky goodness:
- Kat Muscat Fellowship
- Emerging Writers Festival - also if you're not in Australia, check out Digital Writers Festival, a writers festival that all happens online!
- Bri's official mentor Liam Piper of Writer's Bloc
- Bri's Brisbane-based mentor Krissy Kneen
- Bri's video blog series: "What Is She Doing?"
- Hot Chicks with Big Brains - keep up to date with all the hot chick happenings on their instagram, twitter and facebook
- Bri's literary agent Curtis Brown (you can also check out their submission guidelines, which I think have actually changed since we recorded this interview)
- Paul Graham - The Top Idea In Your Mind
- Writers Bloc