Steve Roggenbuck is an American video poet who’s most famous for his youtube videos, which really have to be seen to be believed. They’re feature mostly self-recorded footage of Steve walking through the snow, the desert, a park, his house, a party, and talking / yelling directly to camera. I remember finding his videos in the dead of night, while I was tooling around on my computer, procrastinating from work, and just feeling like I’d been dropped into a confusing, amazing, uplifting, and very weird part of the internet.
I suggest watching one (or three) first before listening to this interview, and I reckon you shoul start with this one: life is right now (2015) THIS IS A SPECIAL VIDEO PLEASE VIEW THIS WITH A PLANT OR ANIMALS.
In this interview we talk about learning to be frugal, Steve’s unshakeable belief in himself, and why you should learn from tech bros about content marketing.
To support this show on Patreon go to www.patreon.com/honoreastly
This week in “Honor Eastly tries Etsy” my very obliging boyfriend is back to help me brainstorm another problem: what the hell should I - a creative who makes a lot of podcasts, but not a lot of things you can buy - actually sell?
The Boyfriend Brainstorm Bonanza resulted in me making this print of the very first email very first email I wrote where I asked to be paid for my creative work. It came out of my interest in how we can actually share that nitty gritty information. Like, I know I should negotiate more, but how??? And now this idea for a thing is actually a thing you can buy! Head to my Etsy store if you want to nab yourself one.
And if you want to start an Etsy store yourself, there’s a special promo code for Starving Artist listeners. You can find all the detailzzz at starvingartpodcast.com/etsy
All the linky goodness:
- The Illuminati Power Hour is a weekly livestream web show Steve did in 2012. You can see a short clip of one of the episodes here.
- boost house is Steve's publishing house. Check it out here, where you can also buy all his books!
- The Kickstarter from 2014 Steve ran to start boost house.
- Steve's Patreon page
- Mr Money Mustache - "early retirement through badassity" is his tagline!
- Steve Roggenbuck's video Going Viral Spiritually: The Mechanics of the Upward Spiral (2011)
- The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris (there's also an online course), and his other book, The Confidence Gap.
- Gary Vaynerchuck - Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion (what a title!)
- Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- The Purple Cow by Seth Godin. You can also check out his TED talk on the topic.
- Content Inc: How entrepreneurs use content to build massive audiences and create radically successful businesses by Joe Pulizzi
- Australian poet Candy Royalle
- Amanda Palmer's Kickstarter where she raised $1.2m for her album Theatre Is Evil
- Amanda Palmer's Patreon (she's now at almost $40k per Thing)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- ACT Companion app
- 7 Minute Workout app
- Figure 1 app